My Other Little Buddy Upset *Scouts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Other Little Buddy Upset *Scouts

When Mary and the kids moved down to FL for here job promotion not easy on the kids.The first year not in school together. Nick had a hard time adjusting in to start. But Mary found a church that helped them lots. One of the guys there was leader of the cub scouts and ask her about letting Nick join. He kinda took Nick as a specail project. Made sure he had all needed for the trips, etc. Nick thought he a big guy now.

But the little guy called me last night, and said they were getting 2 new members *yuck girls"We all know recently said the girls can now be part of the boy scouts. Said the leader sent notices out to parents to let them now some adjustments would need to be made and try to help him/boys adjust. Nick said not going camping this suimmer with girls and not to expect them to sell cookies with them.

I really had a hard time to talk with him last night. I know the Girl Scout Plantation near me, up for sale. So don't know if this in works before these plans?? My niee been involved with them since a Brownie. When got to Old for the Scouts she still does some volunteer work on the weekends. Even helped with summer camp a few times.

I explained to Nick some girls not just like to do girl stuff, they enjoy things boys do also. I said just give them a chance, sure if they find too hard, won't hang around. I said they like the canoes, hikes, and stuff like that also. He handed phone to his Mom. Mary said don't think his group taking this well, so not sure if Nick will be in them much longer. I can understand her point. The Scouts was a special time for bim with just guys!!

Never had any experience with scouts. My boys weren't interested. My neighbor was an eagle scout and if nothing else he was resourceful and confident. His dad however was the leader of his group so that might have made a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by TOYSTORY View Post
      Never had any experience with scouts. My boys weren't interested. My neighbor was an eagle scout and if nothing else he was resourceful and confident. His dad however was the leader of his group so that might have made a big difference.
      I never with boys scouts either, but did help younger sister wth cookie sales when she in scouts. Doknow most areas always had 2 seperate groups for the scouts. The same one that sponsored Kathy's Troop and did a Boy Scout Troop. But the girls sold the cookies for thier projects and the boys sold popcorn. Camps a;ways been seperazte. When I in school it was a 4 h group. But these seperate also. Maybe old fashioned, but some things are better seperate.

Know the other weekend Nicks group had a special outing with lots ofactivity can't really see the girls enjoying. Different littl courses of activity. Some climbing walls,etc. Kinda like a mini military thing. Mary and Sally *his sister had went to view this. Said some of the stuff pretty hard, but his troop did well. Will they still do things like this when the girls are part of them??

Comment

My understanding is that girls are now allowed to join cub scout packs (the younger scouts), but when they are older scouts, the boy/girl troops will be separate.
        Cookie sales will remain with Girl Scouts.
        I know several girls who have gone on to military careers, so I can see them enjoying the course activity, maybe even beating the boys *wink*

Perhaps a reminder that Scouts are Courteous, according to the Scout Law - and what that means - a lesson to be learned - an adjustment.
        We all have to make adjustments as we go through life and we all have difficulties with them from time to time.
        Personally I would guide him towards staying in the pack, and not quitting just because of 'girls' , or at least sticking with it for a while.

I've been to some planning meeting for summer camps & I can tell you a LOT of work & thought has been going in to how to keep everyone safe

Comment

Well, Mary *my friend , daughter not interested in scouts. She has little school things rather do. So this with Nick and the Scouts is something different for her. Lets hope with the troop leader sending info around and asking everyone to work together it will work out. My neighbor across the street went thru Rotc in high school, So I realize lots of girls enjoy stuff like that. She went on to boot camp for the Marines *stationed at Paris Island for that, and now on his first station up North. But her Dad military, so knew this what she wanted.

Comment

Working...
          X